[Yr7-10it] RE: Digital Portfolios- re post

Anne Baird baird.anne.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Jun 6 16:00:13 EST 2006

(sorry for re post- a word was missing in the first sentence)

Hi Jenny

We have created digital portfolios for the last year with our Grade 5/6's
and we used PowerPoint for them. This year our Yr 7's (the same kids) are
using PowerPoint to continue their DP's. Our Yr 8's are currently creating
theirs and this time we are using Dreamweaver. We chose that for the Yr 8's
because we want them to learn DW along the way.

But I think the key thing about DP's is that in some ways it doesn't really
matter what software you use. Of course they will gain IT skills that they
learn along the way and depending on their ages and skills this may
determine what you use.

But fundamentally digital portfolios are about documenting and reflecting a
student's work and their thinking. I think the value of doing it digitally
is that they have multimedia options that they don't have in a hard copy
version and secondly it makes the portability and storage easier.

The hardest thing I think is what goes into the DP. We did some work with
Maureen O'Rourke http://www.acep.net.au/index last year and she worked with
us to explore the content and the thinking that students must do before and
during the creation of the DPs. With our Gr 5/6's we used Being Me, Being
Together, Being a Thinker, Being Great and Being Organised- the students
used two starting places- Head, Heart, Hands or Past Present Future. The
students chose how they would use these notions to explore and document
learnings about themselves. The DP's were not subject specific at this stage
although students were able to choose examples from subjects to illustrate a
learning.

With the Year 8's however we do plan to have some subject specific sections
and well as a section that will require students to reflect on who they are
and how they learn etc.

Anne

Anne Baird
Leading Schools Manager
Wedderburn College
Hospital St
Wedderburn 3518
School 03 54943011 Mobile 0417 340276 Home 03 54911540
My Blog http://wedderburn-college.blogspot.com/
My Photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/anne_loves_pink/
My weblinks  http://del.icio.us/annieb3525

  _____