[Yr7-10it] Re: [Year 12 Its] [Slightly OT] Booklist / Second-hand Books

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Mon Nov 14 14:23:59 EST 2005

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 12:07:36PM +1100, Gavin Ballard wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> Apologies for cross-posts. Thanks for the lively discussion regarding the
> exams – interesting (and reassuring) to find out that teachers are just as
> annoyed with some questions as I was last year in VCE :).
>

> I am trying to get a gauge on the systems schools use for managing their
> booklists going into a new year. This is in order to determine whether a new
> booklist management system would be taken up by schools. I know from
> experience that our system was clunky – a huge paper list of possible books,
> which required you to rule out the books you didn’t need (how much sense
> does that make?) before returning the form. We also had no organised method
> of buying / selling books – you had to find someone you knew in the year
> above you and organise the transaction yourself.
>

> What is the system in your school for managing such lists? Is it an easy
> process for a teacher wanting a new textbook to be on the list to add it?
> Also, what system (if any) does your school use to organise the buying and
> selling of second-hand textbooks amongst students? Finally, if not already
> in existence, do you think your school would be willing to implement an
> online system that allowed students to submit their booklists online, as
> well as providing a method for the exchange of second hand books?

If you find nothing else:

 http://sourceforge.net/projects/nuke-books
 http://freshmeat.net/projects/alexandria_book_collection_manager/

Also, I would suggest any good wiki could be used for this purpose. Choose
one:

 http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&forum_id=0&group_id=50967&atid=0&words=wiki&imageField.x=21&imageField.y=13

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Con Zymaris

- CEO, Cybersource Pty. Ltd.
- Director, Open Source Industry Australia, Limited.
- Convenor, Open Source Victoria (A Government-funded industry cluster.)