[Yr7-10it] [Slightly OT] Booklist / Second-hand Books

Gavin Ballard gavin at vitta.org.au
Mon Nov 14 12:07:36 EST 2005

Hi All,

Apologies for cross-posts. Thanks for the lively discussion regarding the
exams – interesting (and reassuring) to find out that teachers are just as
annoyed with some questions as I was last year in VCE :).

I am trying to get a gauge on the systems schools use for managing their
booklists going into a new year. This is in order to determine whether a new
booklist management system would be taken up by schools. I know from
experience that our system was clunky – a huge paper list of possible books,
which required you to rule out the books you didn’t need (how much sense
does that make?) before returning the form. We also had no organised method
of buying / selling books – you had to find someone you knew in the year
above you and organise the transaction yourself.

What is the system in your school for managing such lists? Is it an easy
process for a teacher wanting a new textbook to be on the list to add it?
Also, what system (if any) does your school use to organise the buying and
selling of second-hand textbooks amongst students? Finally, if not already
in existence, do you think your school would be willing to implement an
online system that allowed students to submit their booklists online, as
well as providing a method for the exchange of second hand books?

Your responses are greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Gavin Ballard

VITTA