[Yr11 Information Technology] Paid for VITTA Unit 2 exam?

Ciotti, George W ciotti.george.w at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Oct 27 12:03:22 EST 2011

Thanks Adrian,

people have been calling for the two exams since VITTA published the official 2011 exam pack so why has it taken so long to respond. Is it curious that teachers are suddenly all wanting two exams? I would say that teachers have been making do with their own exams for the last 4 years (obviously formulating them early in the piece, adapting along the way) and now with the new course they have to build up a new list of new resources which include new unit 1&2 exams. I have been teaching Units 1&2 for the last 4 years and our school has always had two exams for Year 11.

In any case,  the difficulty of catering to the variance in teaching at Year 11 can be overcome by looking for things that are consistent across the board. The textbook for instance. I would presume that the Nelson textbook is what most schools use and this would be a good starting point. The VCAA Study Guide is another. How much variance can there be given it is a new course? Surely this is where VITTA must come in with leadership. A survey of year 11 IT teachers would be a good idea – doesn't have to be huge in the first instance, just enough to gather information that would help form the two exams. This information would be extremely useful for all other 1&2 IT  teachers as well. Knowing what others are doing, or not doing would be valuable early in the new course timeline. There are plenty of Web 2.0 tools out there to choose from to assist surveying.

If you need any assistance with any of this I would be more than happy to help.

cheers
George

The University High School
77 Story Street, Parkville, Vic, 3052, Australia
Ph: (03) 9347 2022
mobile: 0412934782