[vet-mm] IDM at the NGV

Ingrid Wood Ingrid.Wood at ngv.vic.gov.au
Tue Aug 3 14:02:46 EST 2010

Dear IDM teachers and interested Listers!
I am a former multimedia teacher who is now working as an Educator at the National Gallery of Victoria.  With my 'multimedia hat' on I can see many exciting possibilities for using the NGV as a starting point and a resource. Some ideas that come to mind are:

*         Animating the artworks or using the artworks as part of an animation

*         Using artworks in the collection as the inspiration for digital or animated works. For example artist Kate Beynon uses John Brack's Collins Street  5pm as inspiration for her animation: Li Ji Warrior Girl ( both works are in the NGV Collection)

*         Using the stories from artworks as inspiration for film making, animation, claymation or digital storytelling

*         Preparing an audio or video tour for young people on an aspect of the collection. This could be thematic or based on some other curatorial approach such as : five artworks you have to see before you die

*         Look at the NGV FUSE/ NGV Art Start video ( http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/learn/schools-resources/art-start).  Develop an intro to the gallery for a particular audience
** All of the above are subject to relevant copyright permission.
These projects could help in developing  many of the VCE VET Units of competence:

*         Produce drawings to represent and communicate a concept

*         Prepare audio assets

*         Author interactive sequences

*         Prepare video assets

*         Implement copyright arrangements

*         Collect and organise content for broadcast and publication

*         Recording and editing sound
The gallery has a team of educators who love to work with teachers from all subject areas to negotiate programs that suit your students . We can tailor workshops or sessions that could include: looking at work in the collection that has a strong narrative content - telling the stories of the work; looking at works such as Beynon's Li Ji Warrior Girl and how they take inspiration from other artworks, such as Brack's Collins St 5 pm; storyboarding for video/ animation....and anything else you can think of.
As part of our FUSE on line content, we are expanding our ability to display student responses to the collection, and it is hoped that student work will eventually be included on line in 'Learn  - Views and Voices' on the NGV website.
I am very keen to hear from multimedia teachers who are interested in working with us to try new ideas and projects !!
Get in touch to talk about your ideas:
Ingrid Wood
Educator
ingrid.wood at ngv.vic.gov.au<mailto:ingrid.wood at ngv.vic.gov.au>
NGV Schools Bookings
edu.bookings at ngv.vic.gov.au/ngvschools

Ingrid Wood
Educator

National Gallery of Victoria
180 St Kilda Road Melbourne Vic 3004 Australia
Telephone: +61 3 8620 2315
Fax: +61 3 8620 2550
ngv.vic.gov.au

Keep informed of the latest NGV exhibitions, special events and programs at The Ian Potter Centre: NGV Australia and NGV International by subscribing to NGV at RT, the NGV's free e-newsletter.

DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for vet-mm at edulists.com.au. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, copy or alter this email. WARNING: Although National Gallery of Victoria has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the organisation cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachment.