[vet-mm] changes to training package - any more info?

claire claire at warrandytehigh.vic.edu.au
Mon Apr 14 13:03:24 EST 2008

Hi Brian,
As yet the details of new training package have not been published so it is difficult to discuss.
I think the biggest issue will be confusion between the 2 names of these offerings..
The training package Film, TV, Radio and Multimedia will be called "Screen and Media", which sounds very like VCE Media Studies. This will be a problem as students and parents will have difficulty distinguishing the two.

There has been a precedent for calling the VET in schools program a slightly different name to that of the official TP name, so it may be that it is possible to avoid confusion in the naming. At one stage, I think we heard that the Cert 2 was called "Interactive Digital Media" but not sure of details. Would that name be sufficient to distinguish it from VCE Media?

The actual content of the new MM certs is as yet unknown, but I'm sure the units of competency will be similar to what currently exists and certainly not overlap the VCE Media, anymore than it might do now?? I think the skills and advantages offered by VET MM or whatever it will be called certainly warrant it being offered alongside VCE Media. In fact, students could really benefit from doing both, as if they do Vis Comm and IT along with VET MM. They are complementary subjects not alternatives, in my opinion!

It's difficult with tight school deadlines, but if possible wait for some VCAA decisions before making yours.

Regards
Claire Bloom
Warrandyte High