[vet-mm] Virtual machines using the free vmware player

pmaxted at delasalle.melb.catholic.edu.au pmaxted at delasalle.melb.catholic.edu.au
Tue Oct 3 14:28:30 EST 2006

Hi All,

I have had great success running a virtual machine at near native speed on one of our new Acer PCs. I installed winxp pro, flash 8, photoshop cs2 into the virtual machine and all ran about the same speed as if they were on the actual host. The virtual hard disk was split into 2g segments so it would work with FAT32.

VMware have released a 'player' for free which will run these virtual machines. The big advantage is that you can set up an environment with all the software you need in the way you want it. By setting an admin password students can protect their machine from being used by other students. If it is deleted, simply copy the file again ... only takes a few minutes. No need to have separate partitions or reformat. You can even set up your own machine without having to purchase the VMware workstation software ... legally! You can copy and paste between the virtual machine and the host, and use shared folders.

I am thinking that it will have an application for my year 12 IT students next year. The more ram available on the host the closer the virtual machine runs at native speed.

Great for testing OS, trialled software etc.

FYI

Paul
---
PLEASE NOTE:  This Email and any attachments may be confidential and, if you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information in this mail.  If received in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and all copies.  De La Salle College does not guarantee that this Email is virus or error free.  The attached files are provided and may only be used on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not. The content and opinions in this Email are not necessarily those of the College.