[vet-mm] Student sound files

claire claire at warrandytehigh.vic.edu.au
Thu Mar 2 12:34:12 EST 2006

Have a look at CAL licence info,
http://www.copyright.com.au/info%20sheets/CR10_guidelines%20for%20schools,%20TAFEs%20and%20ind%20edu.pdf (sorry about that yucky URL!!)

Schools have a special licence that allows us to use certain copyright materials for teaching purposes eg we can photocopy a certain proportion of a book etc.
For music it's basically 10% of a piece, but as Daylan says, you cannot then publish or present outside of the classroom setting. Most contests/exhibitions are very strict on this - they don't want to be sued!

It's hard but I always encourage my kids to use copyright free or original material, as they never know what they might want to do with their masterpiece in the future. 
If not their own work, I make them endeavour to get permission to use it (which always puts most of them off using it) and I make them acknowledge the work that is not their own (another thing that puts them off using non-original material!!)

Claire :-)

> Peter Zerman <pz at mentonegrammar.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I was hoping someone could offer some clarification on sound files.
> Can someone please inform me if students may use acquired sounds/songs
> within their 2D animation task.
> Are they permitted to utilize a known movie backing track?
> Must all the sound they use be original work produced by them?
> Peter Zerman
> Disclaimer. This email is intended for the use of the named individual 
> or entity and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any 
> dissemination, distribution or copying by anyone other than the intended 
> recipient of this email is strictly prohibited. Attachments are opened 
> and transmitted at the user's own risk. Any representations or opinions 
> expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those 
> of Mentone Grammar.

More information about the vet-mm mailing list