[vet-mm] Shortage of ICT jobs ? No, more like shortage of qualified ICT workers.

Kevork Krozian kevork at edulists.com.au
Thu Jul 20 10:14:13 EST 2006

Hi Friends,

   As always, sorry for the cross posts.

As IT/VET-IT/VET-MM/Cisco teachers we want to know our students will get
jobs when they finish their studies in these areas. The perception of lack
of jobs may be one of the biggest obstacles we face in reviving our
numbers in IT. And we thought the jobs were not out there right ?  Well
think again.

It seems there aren't enough qualified people to fill the jobs in industry
and there is a push to highlight this shortage through a number of
presentation sessions around Victoria ( 12 in total ) as an initiative of
Minister Hon. Marsha Thompson, through MultiMedia Victoria.
 The first is at Box Hill Institute next week. See the attached flyers and
please advertise this in your schools and to your current and prospective
students. This may do more for reviving our flagging numbers in IT than
we realise.
 There is also an open offer by Henry Wiebell (H.Wiebell at bhtafe.edu.au) to
arrange for a speaker to come individually to schools to present this if
the school misses one of the main events.

With thanks

  The original message follows: