[vet-mm] Digital Still Camera batteries

Jane Fischer jane.fischer at rmit.edu.au
Fri Feb 24 12:31:41 EST 2006

I've fond the same the lithium batteries, usually have a longer life...
and once the rechargable AA batteries start to go it's very quick

Jane Fischer
Education Programs Teacher

lab.3000 - leading by design
Level 3, 256 Collins Street
Melbourne VIC 3000 Australia
Phone: +61 (0)3 9654 6990
Mobile:  +61 (0)412 649 993

www.lab.3000.com.au

Subscribe to lab.3000's monthly e-newsletter
www.lab.3000.com.au/subscribe
>>> SA at emc.vic.edu.au 02/24/06 9:50 AM >>>
The benefits I have found with the rechargeable nimh batteries is that
the cameras can be constantly used. No waiting for recharging of the
built in ones.

Upsides to Nimh rechareables
Getting cheaper
No battery life memory, so you can recharge when half full and it will
still have a full charge (not a half charge like the old AA
rechargeables)
You can use them in other appliances if needed.
You can get a fast charger.
I have had a set of 4 NiMh batteries power my digital SLR and take over
1 gig of photos (2x512MB cards)
You can take spares if away from a power supply

Down side,
you have to remember to have them charged,
they have a limited life
They don't last as long as a correctly recharged built in lithium.

I use rechargeable NiMh batteries both in a school situation and at home
for my digital cameras.
My tip if you go the AA NiMh way is to spend a little more and get
really good ones. It does make a difference. I am about to replace many
of my older batteries that have been used constantly for a couple of
years. Some cameras work better with the rechargeable lithiums, it
depends on the camera sometimes.

Hope this doesn't make it too confusing....

We have a set of class cameras, as well as cameras staff can borrow, and
a couple that stay with me and my multimedia - so anything else I can
help you with let me know :)

Cheers
Suz

Suzanne Arnott
Elisabeth Murdoch College
Photography and Multimedia Coordinator
Assistant Manager, Learning Technologies