[vet-mm] Annoucements - Introducing Tootega Creative Learning

Susan Bell Susan.Bell at wesleycollege.net
Wed Apr 20 11:03:02 EST 2005

For my part, it looks very much like an advertisement slightly reworded
to catch the attention of multimedia teachers. However, as you read
further down the ad then the words 'your staff' start to appear. Whose
staff? I don't have any staff and certainly I already teach this kind of
PD as part of my learning technologies role, let alone the stuff I teach
to the students. Doesn't seem to have much relevance to the list as such
as I assume most multimedia teachers know the basic functions of Flash,
Microsoft word, changing colors and fonts etc. As far as the the other
learning areas go,  the ad could be more appropriate on their lists!
Cheers, Sue

>>> tinkler.jacquie.j at edumail.vic.gov.au 04/20/05 10:47 AM >>>
Mmmm...

In my experience of lists, there is very often ill-feeling about the use
of a discussion list for commercial purposes. I assume from the content
of the email that this "organisation" is in fact a business (it has an
ABN), and thus I feel there is a valid concern raised. Who determines
the "limit" for "infommercials" (only another word for advertisement
ultimately!) There is a precident set once we allow what are in fact
commercials onto the list. That is not to say that information about PD
and any other assistance we can get is not useful! But I think as
Rachelle suggested, the newsletter may be a better place for this type
of advertisement. (And will help us raise some funds too.) I for one
will desert a list quickly if it becomes another avenue for advertisers
to attempt to sell me stuff, and this is a risk that we have to
consider.

My personal feeling is that we encourage those wanting to advertise
their wares to buy some space in our newsletter, so we can keep the list
focused on teachers helping other teachers. This is what I have found to
be the focus and the most valuable part of our list. I take a whole lot
more notice of another teacher's recommendation of a good PD session
they have attended than an ad from the same company.

I understand there is a limited range of resources for our subject and
that is good to know they are being produced, but as I said before,
disussion lists have a "culture" and I don't think advertisments in this
form are appropriate for our list as it operates currently.

Just my 2 bobs worth.

Cheers,

Jacquie