[VCE Maths] (no subject)

Cathy Devlyn Cathy.Devlyn at pegs.vic.edu.au
Wed May 11 16:49:30 EST 2005

Hi all,

We use a variety of tasks for SAC 3 that we recycle from year to year.
One version is a modification of the old bushwalking task from an old CAT-- we have changed the task to include various pathways involving lifesavers, laying cables, gas pipelines etc. This task is a good one because it has the scope for the generalisation of solutions.

One other task we use is a modified version of the fun park question from an exan 2 (2003??), again a generalised approach can be taken and plus students are required to use the product rule with sin and exp to arrive at the turning points using calculus.

There is a wealth of materials, and one may get a starting point from using analysis questions plus a little creative thinking. Importantly, I think the design of the task should model the type of maths students can expect in Exam 2.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,

Catherine Devlyn
VCE Maths Coordinator