[Technical] RE: [Offtopic] Request re DVD storage on schoolnetwork

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 17:14:31 EST 2009

A couple of years ago I recall somebody asking if you coudl stream a DVD
from a computer using VLC media player on an Intranet .. in a sense instead
of just playing it on a local computer or projector, just streaming it to a
different physical location in an organisation. I think they were thinking
of setting this up in a library so that DVDs could be electronically checked
out by a librarian for viewing elsewhere on the network. Not copying, just
real-time streaming to a different computer .. goodness knows we did this
many decades ago with coaxial cables and library technicians. I am curious
about the status of this ..

I'll admit I would rather use sneaker-net to run up and fetch the DVD for
local playback. Works for me all the time .. you can keep all your expensive
film loops and video toys folks. ;-)

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au