[Technical] Do you use a helpdesk system or just regular email for user-support and job tracking?

Jim Maunder techo at ruyton.vic.edu.au
Tue Jul 29 16:11:59 EST 2008

Hello Paul -

Firstly some background - we have 750 students from K-12, kids get
laptops in Yr5, nearly all teaching staff have laptops. That makes
about 600 lappies to look after. We have 3 and a bit computer labs,
the JS rooms have 3 desktop PCs K-4, and 2 PC yrs 5-6, and then there is admin.

We have the network manager (my boss), me the laptop technician, and
a 30 hours a week support person who mainly looks after the junior
school and the admin users. My boss mainly looks after the servers
and infrastructure. We all help each other out as needed. I am not so
busy that I can't spend a few minutes responding to posts like this.

The computer labs hardly ever need attention (I re-image them every
term break), the admin staff are quite competent as computer users
and in general only ask for help with things like mail merge or how
to query the student records. The teachers main troubles are e-mail
and network issues.

When staff (either teachers or admin) want help they either email,
phone, or visit in person. Junior school have a paper system to
request help. When students need laptop help they visit me.

I record only those jobs that need attention by our 'laptop program'
provider (Computelec) using MS Access. I keep all the e-mails
requesting computer help.

All pretty basic really. Being a girls' school helps. Maybe being a
Novell site helps too.

rgds
Jim

At 03:10 PM 29/07/2008, you wrote:
>Reasons we looked at using a helpdesk system:
>- Allow helpdesk staff to make notes on each issue so other helpdesk
>staff could follow it up if required
>- Easy tracking of sent and received emails per issue
>- Gather statistics on the types of problems encountered and time spent
>on them (not a primary requirement)
>
>I'm interested to hear what you use in your school to manage emails from
>staff..

We have to use this Disclaimer

This message, including any attachments, is provided without
responsibility in law for its accuracy or otherwise and without
assumption of a duty of care by the School. Whilst every attempt has
been made to ensure material in this email message is free from
computer viruses or other defects, the attached files are provided,
and may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes all
responsibility for use of the material transmitted. This email is
intended for the use of the named individual or entity and may
contain confidential and privileged information. Any dissemination,
distribution or copying by anyone other than the intended recipient
of this email is strictly prohibited. If this email has been
received in error, then please notify Ruyton Girls' School
immediately and destroy the original message.

Views, opinions, etc. expressed reflect those of the author and not
Ruyton Girls' School

Jim Maunder
Laptop and PC Support Technician
Ruyton Girls School