[Technical] Windows vs. Novell

Neil Wallace neil at norwood.vic.edu.au
Wed Jul 16 10:44:24 EST 2008

We use Novell at Norwood and my techs and I swear by it. It has been
sensational for deployment, auditing, remote management and best of all, the
students don't seem to mess with it as it is foreign to them.

The only reason I can see to change is if the Department refuse to source
Novell skilled techs as part of the TSSP. If I lose mine I know I'll
struggle to replace him as the Department are so Windows biased.

But at a local level I will not look away from Novell unless there is a
direct instruction from the Department to do so. I cannot see the benefit in
switching to the windows environment.

One exception to this MAY occur when I see the benefits of the new suite of
MS products rolled together in terms of Communications Server, project
management, share point - but in an educationally friendly way.  MS really
have got it together lately with integrated suites of back office services..
. .

Neil Wallace
eLearning Manager
Norwood SC