[Technical] Google Images

Daniel Stefyn dstefyn at gmail.com
Tue May 22 15:41:38 EST 2007

As a technician and internet user, I find google images an exceptionally
useful tool in searching for things that may be hard to find. It is often a
lot easier to search for an ambiguous or otherwise hard to find topic by
browsing for a logo or image which sticks out easily. A multimedia student
may need to browse for artwork which would take seconds to find using an
image search, whereas trawling through pages of text can be a nightmare.

Unfortunately at times inappropriate content can be found but the google
safe search option (which could potentially be forced on with some cookie
hacking or disallowing cookies from certain domains). This link here deals
with Blocking google images<http://www.craigjconsulting.com/googlesrch.html>,
option #2, "forcing google safe search" seems like a reasonable approach.

One pet peeve are block lists that block "google.com/images/*", which
blocks, amongst other things the google logo that comes up every time one
does a google search and other basic images that appear when using google.
These blocks do not however affect the use of google images so are not
normally necessary.
eg. http://www.google.com/images/logo.gif