[Technical] Content Management Systems

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Fri May 11 11:21:08 EST 2007

I heard there's some work being done connecting Drupal (content
management system) with Moodle (learning management system) using single
sign on, and the same team is also developing digital portfolio software
called Mahara

http://www.drupal.org/
https://eduforge.org/projects/mahara/

http://blog.worldcampus.psu.edu/index.php/2007/03/21/innovation-for-education-oss-and-infrastructure-for-nzs-education-system/

Moodle is pretty impressive - and has just won a heap of awards.
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=68408

You can set it up inside the school for free if you have the time and
expertise, or you can engage a moodle partner...
http://moodle.com/partners/list/

Or any one of a number of local companies doing moodle support.

or buy a moodle book
http://www.packtpub.com/moodle/book

but better yet - there's already a local moodle user group using
edulists - moodle at edulists.com.au - Peer support is unbeatable.

"This year, I have NO, repeat NO students failing. NONE AT ALL! ... I
have not changed how I teach. As a matter of fact I have covered more
material than I ever have. I have not been grading less stringently.
Nothing has changed except that I have provided an opportunity for
students to practice and review on Moodle."  Mary Kaplan, French Teacher

On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 22:26 +1000, Stephen Digby wrote:
> No email address supplied.
> Moodle - free, excellent built in tools for education (grading, submission, choices, surveys, wikis etc)
> Blackboard - expensive, for-profit, anti-open source company ((but happy to build in access to open source
> systems where it doesn't ooffer functionality e.g.), excellent built in tools for education
> eWorkspace - sounds good, don't know much about it,
> SharePoint - MS corporate ducument retreival and discussion host.  Few tools oriented specifically for
> educational needs.
>
> Suggest moodle is the best bet esp if its development pace continues.

> Stephen Digby, Learning Technology Manager
> mailto: admin at cheltsec.vic.edu.au
> Cheltenham Secondary College www.cheltsec.vic.edu.au
> Ph: 613 955 55 955  Fx: 9555 8617 Mb: 0431-701-028
> Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings; they did it by killing all those who opposed them.

donna benjamin - executive director
http://www.creativecontingencies.com/
ph +61 3 9326 9985 | mob +61 418 310 414
research - facilitation - web development