[Technical] Notebooks for New Staff - DET needs to help

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Fri Feb 24 07:17:58 EST 2006

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 11:45:29PM +1100, David Rayment wrote:
> Macs consume more problems due to the fact everybody (including my 4
> year old niece) knows windows.
> They are using intel due to the sole reason linux support is widely
> available and there is bugger all support out there for their alpha
> chip.

hmmm, now where do I begin with this one? ;-)

1) Have you ever tried your niece on a Mac? I'd bet a 6-pack that she'd
   find it far more intuitive than Windows.

2) Macs moving to Intel has nothing to do with Linux.

3) Macs don't use Alpha CPUs. In fact, hardly anything besides OpenVMS
   systems do nowdays. Long ago, back in the day (circa 1984) when I first
   started using them, Macs were based on the Motorola 68000 CPUs. Macs
   moved through the various newer versions of this chip family over the
   next 8 years, 68020, 68030 and eventually onto the last of the line,
   the 68040. The CPU family was then changed in the early '90s to the
   jointly developed/produced Motorola/IBM PowerPC series. Now, for the
   third time in its production history, the Macs are switching CPU
   families again, to the x86 range. Most observers claim that for sheer
   CPU performance and heat management optimisation, Apple would have been
   better off with AMD's Opteron range however. Obviously, politics and
   market positioning had more to play with this decision than mere
   engineering.

Hope this hekps. ;-)

Cheers,

Con Zymaris

- CEO, Cybersource Pty. Ltd.
- Director, Open Source Industry Australia, Limited.
- Convenor, Open Source Victoria (A Government-funded industry cluster.)