[Technical] Notebooks for New Staff - DET needs to help

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Tue Feb 21 15:24:21 EST 2006

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 07:22:59AM +1100, Stephen Digby wrote:
> We have OSX running on standard wintel box and hope that we can have
> both Windows and MacOS running on same machine with a software
> switch between ?

Desire level of this happening? 100%
Likelihood of this happening? 	  0%

You may be able to get better software VM support with OS X now on x86,
but you'll still almost certainly need a VM system in place (VMWare, Xen,
Virtual PC) to get Windows to un on the new x86 OS X boxes.

Apple doesn't really want you to run Windows on OSX hardware, so wont go
out of its way to make it happen. And there are some serious hurdles, for
instance, the OSX x86 boxes don't have a viable BIOS AFAIK.

Nor will you be able to legally (or probably technically) run OS X on
non-Apple x86 boxes.

Having Linux run on these boxes however will almost be a certainty by
comparison. This is the advantage that software freedome gives you, the
user. The vendors can go JMP FFFF ;-)

Cheers,

Con Zymaris

- CEO, Cybersource Pty. Ltd.
- Director, Open Source Industry Australia, Limited.
- Convenor, Open Source Victoria (A Government-funded industry cluster.)