[Technical] Announcement software

Paul Williamson paulw at huntingtower.vic.edu.au
Thu Feb 2 18:31:53 EST 2006

If you have a webserver you could just setup a webpage with auto-refresh
in the code, so it reloads every minute, for example - this would work if
you had say a dedicated computer for displaying these announcements.
It could even be database-driven so you can have a web-based login for
people who have authority to submit announcements could do so from
wherever.

On the PC's for displaying announcements you could just run Internet
explorer in Kiosk mode (iexplore.exe -k http://url/page.htm) this runs
full screen without any buttons etc.

Then just update the webpage with latest announcements and they will be
updated on your screens when the auto-refresh script reloads them every X
minutes.

Of course for this setup my concept is that you have dedicated machines
for displaying announcements around the school, I realize you may be after
something at adds onto current desktop pc's - I'm afraid I don't have much
input for that scenario.. unless perhaps this was integrated into active
desktop - however that would not pop up when something was updated.

Best of luck,

Paul Williamson
Network Administrator, Huntingtower School
http://www.huntingtower.vic.edu.au
paulw at huntingtower.vic.edu.au
Phone: 0433 167 247
Fax: 03 9888 1089

Lorraine Bignell said:
> Hello
>
> I am looking for software which will allow us to display announcements
> on a number of computers around the school that are networked. We need
> to be able to update the announcements from a central location and have
> them instantaneously appear on all the computers. Does anyone know of
> software which does this.
>
> Thanks
>

> Lorraine Bignell
> Ivanhoe Girls' Grammar School
> 123 Marshall Street
> Ivanhoe    Vic   3079
> ph  9490 6271
> fax  9490 6200

This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify me immediately by return e-mail or telephone, and destroy the original message.
Whilst every attempt has been made to ensure that material contained in this e-mail is free from computer viruses or other defects, the attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for use of the material transmitted.