[Technical] dynamic Internet browsing control

Chris Hopkinson hopkinson.chris.c at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Jun 20 09:14:01 EST 2005

Wayne,

We use ISA Server 2004 to do a similar job and it works well. By default all
students in the school do not have access to the Internet when they log on
.. they only have access to the edulist and a local white list that we can
add sites to. When staff logon they have normal filtered Internet access.

I have setup rules in ISA server that then allow access to the Internet for
various groups and from various locations and at various time. For example I
can set a rule that allows VCE students access to the Internet when they log
on in a particular computer classroom during a particular timetabled class.
The schedules are setup based on the timetable at the start of the term - so
we don't need to make many changes during the term.

The rules in ISA server are based on IP address rather than MAC, but we
solved that problem by simply reserving IP addresses in DHCP for each
computer in our computer classrooms. Each room then has its own IP address
range that I can setup as a rule in ISA. It took a few hours to set this up
- but it was a one off job!

With this setup we have complete control as to who has access to what and at
what times. Our problems with inappropriate Internet access and the costs of
Internet traffic have all but disappeared. Therefore, we no longer worry
about charging students for Internet costs.

Regards
Chris Hopkinson
TSSP, Bairnsdale SC