[Technical] Off Topic - Windows XP and Serv Pack 2 Incompatibility

Kevin Feely feely.kevin.k at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Jun 15 12:05:05 EST 2005

Hi All

>>The following has been reported to me - I am wondering if anyone has
>>experienced this?
>>We were contemplating purchasing a lab full of new computers running XP
>>Service Pack 2.
>>We want to be able to continue using Office2000 plus many more pieces of
>>software, common throughout the school. Other computers are running
>>either Win 2000 or 98SE.

I would use Xp SP2 - we have XP pro SP2 and while had a few hiccups
prefer to keep up to date with service packs and patches as a matter of
principle.
Have not found any app not capable of running in Xp - including some
very old dos games, but Iam sure some exist.

>Keith,
>
>it is my understanding that standard XP ships with a 'comaptibility
>testing' utility. Perhaps SP2 has an updated version of this?
>
>Alternatively, perhaps trial your apps on SP2 on a single test machine
>prior to commitment on the remaining lab.
>
>I'd also be curious to know what a lab full of XP machines costs, if it's
>not a problem to reveal such numbers.

Yes the Xp disk has a compatibility tester, I dont think any  service
pack expects to need such a test.

For 50 machines say P4's with 512Mb, HDD, 17"CRT, CD etc - budget
models  mostly  ship std with XP home, but as a govt dept this can be
replaced with xppro for no extra cost you only need any XP licence.
 All other ms apps are covered by the det - ms contract so i would think
$800 to $950 should cover it (depending on extras dvd's or dvd writers
etc). Optima have been good for us.

regards
Kevin Feely