[Technical] Using IRC for student development collaboration

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Tue Aug 23 08:09:14 EST 2005

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 07:12:03AM +1000, Mark Snell wrote:
> Con,
>
> because as a general rule the appropriate ports are blocked at the router
> for most government schools, and especially at the moment, since they lost
> the contract to Telstra, AAPT have been a little tardy in getting anything
> done to the routers.

I guess I didn't make this clear. Most Linux installs ship with an IRC
server, built in. Merely switch it on and you have your own, private,
class/lab IRC server.

This removes any legal/privacy/liability issues as well as network issues
you mention above.

I'd be surprised if there aren't free Windows IRC server you could install
too.

Cheers,

Con Zymaris

- CEO, Cybersource Pty. Ltd.
- Director, Open Source Industry Australia, Limited.
- Convenor, Open Source Victoria (A Government-funded industry cluster.)