[Technical] Using IRC for student development collaboration

Mark Snell mark at geekzone.com.au
Tue Aug 23 07:12:03 EST 2005

Con,

because as a general rule the appropriate ports are blocked at the router for
most government schools, and especially at the moment, since they lost the
contract to Telstra, AAPT have been a little tardy in getting anything done to
the routers.

I agree that IRC can be a wonderful tool. I remember using it heavily especially
back in '96 when we (http://teamtnt.com/) worked on Final Doom. There is simply
no better way to keep a bunch of geographically scattered tech people together.

Having said that, it requires a level of maturity seldom found in our schools
today (IMHO)

Mark