[Technical] Interestingcomputers-in-education

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Sat Aug 6 13:47:03 EST 2005

On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 11:20:07AM +1000, Clark, Ian C wrote:

> [...]

Incorrect.

I would have no problems if the Department kept out of the purchasing and
didn't arrange any whole-of-public-school agreements, like the one it has
with Microsoft, at all. It should then give that $22 million to the
schools and let them each decide what technologies are best for them.

I bet, using this approach, that many many more schools will deploy a lot
more open source solutions. This is what seems to happen in the
private school sector. That's good for non-Microsoft vendors like
Cybersource.

As it stands, the Department does private deals with Microsoft, not
allowing any competitors, like us, Novell or Red Hat to bid. This is
wrong.

I'm not in the public education sphere. You guys are. Can you tell me of
any other instances where $22 million is given to a single vendor, without
that vendor having to compete on an open market for the business? A market
which does have real competitors?

Ian, you can argue backwards and forwards, but as a taxpayer, I'm furious
with the fact that $22 million of my tax dollars are spent on products
where there was no competitive tendering. As a vendor, I'm furious that a
$22 million dollar deal was done without an open competitive tender. I
have therefore lodged a formal complaint with the ACCC, whose job it is to
ensure, among other things, that governments do run competitve tenders and
that actions, like the one that DE&T takes,

I'm sorry that you don't seem to like or appreciate this. But keeping you
happy is not in my job description ;-)