[Year 12 SofDev] Folio of Designs

Mark mark at vceit.com
Tue May 17 11:50:59 AEST 2016

Hi Ben

As I see it...

The two or three design ideas are very undetailed, large-brush, general,
back-of-a-napkin type possible approaches to a solution.

e.g. deciding how to get to Sydney, deciding between (1) a plane, (2) the
train and (3) roller skates, rather than detailing an hourly itinerary,
picking an airline or choosing between a window seat and the aisle.

Or, if managing a pile of data, I could use (1) a spreadsheet with lookup
tables, (2) a relational database, (3) a custom-written program with cloud
data stores.

Or, if creating a supercomputer, you could (1) use a mainframe, (2) create
a server farm, (3) use a distributed computing model.

I see the creation of a design idea as being like choosing a paradigm - a
main general philosophy or approach to solving the problem. The details
must wait until the paradigm is chosen.

Well. That's how I see it.

Mark

mark at vceit.com