[Year 12 SofDev] Textbook for SD

Darren Scott dscott at ccb.vic.edu.au
Fri Oct 9 12:44:16 AEDT 2015

It's an interesting thought, but from a non-expert point of view there's a fair bit of potential peril (putting on the black De Bono hat here ... ).
The Further course is a single course with options, which the school chooses to teach but the student chooses for the exam. I'm sure everyone here who's taught subjects with an option (like IT Apps' database/spreadsheet choice) has had that one kid who decided to teach themselves the other one and do that on the exam instead. They don't have that option in the SD/Apps choice as they're two subjects - if somewhere in the distant future they merged into one, with a programming/SD module and an Apps module, it might work.

It would also be harder to convince the parents to fork out an extra 50% on parts of a book that the student doesn't need. Parents are already dirty when the teacher doesn't use every square inch of the textbook including the front and back cover.

The idea works great for websites (like our other SD bible, Mark Kelly's vceit.com), so that flows into the other philosophical question - when are we doing away with textbooks completely and going strictly online?

Darren