[Year 12 SofDev] Mac GUI programming tools for SofDev

Guy Flaherty Guy.Flaherty at xavier.vic.edu.au
Wed Aug 12 13:04:13 AEST 2015

Hi Laurie,

I use eclipse and pydev for all my python programming. It would work fine for Django stuff too. Netbeans is good as well for this and might even be a bit easier for students to master. Neither of these are focussed on GUI programming but you can still use them.

IDEs specifically targeted on GUI programming really depend on what toolkit you are using. For example, if you are using Tcl (builtin to python) then Tkinter is your best bet (comes with python).

If you are using PyQT then Eric6 (http://eric-ide.python-projects.org/index.html) might be useful. Pycharm (http://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/) is another one you could look at.

For PyGTK you would want to look at Glade (https://glade.gnome.org/).

For other stuff like wxPython you should look at the list of python editors here (https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEditors) for ideas.

Good luck,