[Year 12 SofDev] Reading and Writing text data files in VB2010

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Wed May 11 12:45:25 EST 2011

Hi, you paragons of pedagogy.  I've been putting off teaching my kids how to
read and write text data files in VB but having investigated today, it's not
really more difficult than the days of VB6 with OPEN "file" FOR INPUT AS 1
... INPUT #1, data.

I've attached an adapted tutorial on reading and writing text files with a
task involving reading and writing a preferences file (with solution).

Once your kids can do data files, it greatly opens the scope for populating
and playing with really large arrays and makes loops meaningful.

I remember how excited I was when I first discovered text files decades ago
- it was like finding mum's car keys.  My programming world blossomed from
that point.

kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

Want a good time? Call 0112358. Ask for Mr Fibonacci.