[Year 12 SofDev] Devil's advocate == me?

Adrian Janson janson.adrian.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Jul 28 13:47:45 EST 2011

Hi everyone,

OK.  I have been reading a lot of the posts about U4O1 - and have written my
own which I will post to the lists very shortly.  There has been a lot of
talk about the SAC and what needs to be included - but I have some issues /
questions for the community.

The follow is my opinion only!!!! (disclaimer!)

Now my understanding of Key Knowledge vs Key Skills is this: the key
knowledge describes the content of the Area of Study and is full examinable
(as is everything in the study design proper).  The Key Skills describe what
needs to be addressed via the assessment of the area of study (the SAC).
Not all points within the Key Knowledge need to be assessed via the SAC.

1.        A lot of people are writing SACs in which the student needs to
work from / interpret an SRS.  This is not a requirement of the SAC.  The
Key Skill states: 'interpret solution requirements in order to ....'.  Now
the 'solution requirements' could be framed in an SRS (and for consistency I
have done it this way), but it doesn't need to be.  The Key Skill in U3O2
stated: 'interpret software requirements specifications by ...'.  The Key
Skills are different.

2.       There has been a lot of discussion about needing to include either
2D arrays, stacks, queues, sorting and searching (or combinations). There is
nothing in the Key Skills that states this.  I have chosen to write a task
that lends itself to a queue - and have included requirements that are need
sorting / searching routines - but this is not necessary.  I feel that it is
in students best interest to include some of these things so that U4O1 is
set apart from U3O2 and there is a progression in skills.  Also as these
things are going to appear on the exam it is in the best interest of
students.  However, a task need not have these things - the Key Skills says
'write solutions and internal documentation' and 'interpret solution
requirements in order to design and develop solutions' (only).  Yes - the
Key Knowledge states 'forms and uses of data structures to organise and
manipulate data, including two-dimensional arrays, stacks and queues' and it
would be hard to write a solution without using a data structure at all -
but all the task asks is that students 'write solutions'.

3.       User interface and validation.  I am putting a fair emphasis on the
design of the user interface and the validation as I feel that there needs
to be as this is 'a solution'.  The Key Skills do not mention user interface
or validation at all (they are mentioned in detail in the Key Knowledge).
We want students to produce a complete solution - therefore there needs to
be an emphasis on these things.  They will also have a significant effect on
the testing table.

Again - all my opinion - and not intended to cause confusion - just to
promote an understanding of the task amongst all of us.

(so flame away!!!)

Cheers,

Adrian

Adrian Janson B.Sc, Dip.Ed, M.Ed
Director of ICT
Melbourne High School, Forrest Hill, South Yarra, Victoria 3141 Australia.
Phone: 03 9826 0711 International: +61 3 9826 0711
Fax: 03 9826 8767 International: +61 3 9826 8767
E-mail: janson.adrian.a at edumail.vic.gov.au

Website:  <http://www.mhs.vic.edu.au/> http://www.mhs.vic.edu.au

Blog:  <http://jansona.edublogs.org/> http://jansona.edublogs.org