[Year 12 SofDev] U4O1 Task 2 - Report/Test

Christophersen, Paula P christophersen.paula.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Aug 16 18:16:49 EST 2011

Dear colleagues

I suppose there are different ways of bundling things, and it was thought that the bulk of the marks for this outcome should be devoted to the software solution (this was in response to feedback to increase the emphasis on programming). Also from a VCAA viewpoint, a study should not have a  task that is worth less than 10 marks, so this also influenced the decision to place user documentation in task 2. While the allocation of marks within a task is a school decision, it is highly probable that you would allocate more than 5 marks to user documentation.

>From a number-counting perspective, the user documentation sits in task 2, but this does not dictate when it is completed. As it is expected that students create user documentation for the solution they have created, they can do this while in 'task 1 mode', however, the marks allocated to it would contribute to the Task 2 score. At the end of the day from a VASS perspective two separate scores need to be entered, but how they are acquired is a school-based decision.

I would also encourage teachers to consider the size of the user documentation. It certainly does not have to cover all of the solution - what you are looking for is enough evidence to discriminate performance, as well as be able to identify if the students know about the purpose and types of user documentation; typical formats, the accuracy of the content and its connection to the solution. Students do not have to sustain a performance, and the required evidence can be captured through a parred-back task.

Regards
Paula

Paula Christophersen
ICT Curriculum Manager