[Year 12 SofDev] Re: Historical Tour of Computing in Melbourne

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Mon May 18 22:32:19 EST 2009

> From:   Graham Farr <Graham.Farr at infotech.monash.edu.au>
> Date:   Mon, 18 May 2009 19:45:06 +1000
> Subject:   Re: Historical Tour of Computing in Melbourne

I'm really sorry, but the 31 May tour is now full.

We plan to run another couple of tours later
this year.  I can put anyone interested on the
mailing list for these so that you get early
notification of them.  Let me know if this
interests you.

In the meantime, you might care to visit CSIRAC
at Melbourne Museum.  It is on display whenever
the museum is open.

. As pointed out, you can also do the tour
in self-guided mode any time you like, using
the tour web page.

Best

-- Graham

Stephen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  The Australian Computer Society (ACS)
> our main Au ICT professional collegiate
>
>  <http://www.acs.org.au/>
>

>> From:  Tom Worthington <Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au>
>> Date:   Sat, 16 May 2009 12:03:40 +1000
>> Subject:   Historical Tour of Computing in Melbourne
>

>  At the ACS Victorian Branch 2009 Conference
>
>  <http://www.acs.org.au/vic/2009conference/index.cfm?page=Home>
>
>  <http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2009/05/sustainable-business.html>
>
> someone mentioned there was an Historical Tour of Computing inMelbourne
>

>  <http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~gfarr/tour/>
>

> Unfortunately I missed the tour as I was at the conference.
>
> The next one is Sunday 31 May 2009.
>
> The tours are run by Caulfield School of Information Technology
> (Monash University) and are free, apart from your tram ticket.
>
> Many of the sites are accessible without the tour and the tour guide
> web page provides a useful self-guide. The highlight of any such tour
> has to be CSIRAC at the Melbourne Museum, the fourth computer in the
> world and the best preserved.
>

> The Tour:
>
>     1. Monash Museum of Computing History
>     2. Site of Albert Park Barracks and DSD
>     3. Melbourne's Silicon Mile: St Kilda Road and Fitzroy Street
>     4. Stanhill
>     5. Melbourne Observatory: Melbourne's first computer room
>     6. Victoria Barracks: Australia's first supercomputer
>     7. St Paul's Cathedral: the Babbage connection
>     8. National Mutual: Smalltalk-80's Australian debut
>     9. ICI House
>    10. Melbourne Museum: CSIRAC
>    11. Physics Museum, University of Melbourne
>    12. Old Physics, University of Melbourne: CSIRAC's first Vic home
>

> Tom Worthington FACS HLM
>
> tom.worthington at tomw.net.au http://www.tomw.net.au/
>
> Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Australian National University
>
> --
>
> Cheers, Tom
> Stephen Loosley
> Member, Victorian
> Institute of Teaching

Message sent using MelbPC WebMail Server