[Year 12 SofDev] Historical Tour of Computing in Melbourne

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Sun May 17 22:46:59 EST 2009

Hi all,

 The Australian Computer Society (ACS)
our main Au ICT professional collegiate

 <http://www.acs.org.au/>

> From:  Tom Worthington <Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au>
> Date:   Sat, 16 May 2009 12:03:40 +1000
> Subject:   Historical Tour of Computing in Melbourne

 At the ACS Victorian Branch 2009 Conference

 <http://www.acs.org.au/vic/2009conference/index.cfm?page=Home>

 <http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2009/05/sustainable-business.html>

someone mentioned there was an Historical Tour of Computing in Melbourne

 <http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~gfarr/tour/>

Unfortunately I missed the tour as I was at the conference.

The next one is Sunday 31 May 2009.

The tours are run by Caulfield School of Information Technology
(Monash University) and are free, apart from your tram ticket.

Many of the sites are accessible without the tour and the tour guide
web page provides a useful self-guide. The highlight of any such tour
has to be CSIRAC at the Melbourne Museum, the fourth computer in the
world and the best preserved.

The Tour:

    1. Monash Museum of Computing History
    2. Site of Albert Park Barracks and DSD
    3. Melbourne's Silicon Mile: St Kilda Road and Fitzroy Street
    4. Stanhill
    5. Melbourne Observatory: Melbourne's first computer room
    6. Victoria Barracks: Australia's first supercomputer
    7. St Paul's Cathedral: the Babbage connection
    8. National Mutual: Smalltalk-80's Australian debut
    9. ICI House
   10. Melbourne Museum: CSIRAC
   11. Physics Museum, University of Melbourne
   12. Old Physics, University of Melbourne: CSIRAC's first Victorian home

Tom Worthington FACS HLM

tom.worthington at tomw.net.au http://www.tomw.net.au/

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Australian National University

--

Cheers, Tom
Stephen Loosley