[Year 12 SofDev] Network Diagrams - Physical or Logical

Timmer-Arends timmer at melbpc.org.au
Mon Mar 31 17:09:46 EST 2008

Hello all

Kevork said...
> 4. There may be alternate representations and conceptually the issue is
> that all traffic inbound must be forced to go through the firewall. ...

Yes, order is important

> 6. .... I would have thought the concrete would be much easier than the
> abstract for these kids. This is only IMHO. The method lecturer's advice
> from Dip Ed to always support a concept with a concrete example keeps
> ringing in my ear.

I agree but we also need to make sure that students understand that the
concrete example, eg, a 4 Port Wireless ADSL Modem Router = (internet side)
ADSL modem + router + LAN ports/wireless access points (network side), in
that order.

ie that there are many functional blocks that make up a network and these
can be packaged in various ways resulting in what we buy off the shelf

> 7. I don't recall anyone suggesting the reason for teaching these physical
> implementation details in Software Development ( router, switch, firewall,
> modem ) is in any way for preparation of these students for work. On the
> contrary, it is to understand the concepts and not to go home and
> implement a solution or build a network - unless they want to.

Yes, I was just recalling a debate or two from a couple of study designs
ago....

Regards
Robert T-A