[Year 12 SofDev] Network Diagrams - Physical or Logical

Kevork Krozian kevork at edulists.com.au
Sun Mar 30 21:58:27 EST 2008

Hi Folks,

 I would make a few observations here.

1. A network has a boundary as a network card. This is also known as a
gateway ( there may be more than one gateway ). If the boundary is a router,
one card ( router interface ) is in the network, and at least one other has
to be in the "next" network otherwise you don't have a router. A router can
be a computer ( min 2 cards ) or a purpose built router such as a Cisco
router. A gateway device MUST have at least 2 NICs. The firewall sitting in
the middle of a network troubles me. How will packets be checked for
permission to ENTER the network if they are being sent to a device in the
MIDDLE of the network ?

2. Routing ( deciding which interfaces a packet should be sent to once it
has arrived at an interface ) is wasteful before the firewall does it's job.
Why decide how to process a packet only to have it dropped by the firewall ?
Therefore  the firewall should sit further out than the router or if in the
one device the firewall function takes place first. If the firewall is happy
to accept the packet, the routing table is then checked to see which
interface the packet should now exit the router.

3. Some routers have firewall and inbuilt modem module capability. The modem
would sit further out again if it was a separate device. But since these
devices appear to be in one box the sequence of operations is sometimes not
clear.

4. There may be alternate representations and conceptually the issue is that
all traffic inbound must be forced to go through the firewall. How do we
assure every packet will be forced through the firewall in the non
sequential diagram as presented by Kevin ? If the inbound, default gateway
from the router is the firewall, it can't route traffic with one network
card except with some exotic configurations. Point 2 above is also still an
issue.

5. Use of DMZ ( Demilitarised Zones ) could be worth investigating with
students and explaining how they reduce the risk to networks.

6. Robert makes a good point regarding a conceptual understanding  to be
sufficient rather than a distinction say, between routers and switches as
far as what data units ( packets vs frames ) they handle. I would have
thought the concrete would be much easier than the abstract for these kids.
This is only IMHO. The method lecturer's advice from Dip Ed to always
support a concept with a concrete example keeps ringing in my ear.

7. I don't recall anyone suggesting the reason for teaching these physical
implementation details in Software Development ( router, switch, firewall,
modem ) is in any way for preparation of these students for work. On the
contrary, it is to understand the concepts and not to go home and implement
a solution or build a network - unless they want to.

Now, give me a minute to take cover in the Demilitarized Zone before you
launch your assault on my comments here .....

Are we supposed to be on holidays ?

Kind Regards
Kevork Krozian
Edulists Creator and Administrator