[Year 12 SofDev] Study design feedback

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Fri Mar 7 11:52:06 EST 2008

This is what I sent Paula.  I thought others might also want to see it...

I'm for option 3 - minor review.

I think small but important changes are required sooner rather than later.

Units 1 and 2 seem fine to me.

I'd swap the order of ITA U3O1 and U3O2 to give more time for students
to develop database skills, and to build their confidence with an easier
SAC before the big scary one.

Frankly, I think ITA U3O1 is too big with the inclusion of projman.  I'd
move the projman component to U3O2 where there is less new stuff to
learn for most kids.  Either that, or make the database outcome worth
more than the prototype VT site.

Make it clear in the ITA database task that the database produced by
students needs to be relational; not just that the DBMS they employ
needs to be relational!

Also, the glossary needs correction and expansion.  e.g. the 56 bps
modem, the 'cpu' (under Computer System), 'jpeg' (under File Formats),
the inclusion of Flash under 'Image Editing'.  'Visualising thinking'
needs to be added.

I'd add 'Procedural security' to physical and electronic/logical
security - I'd suggest human fallibility & social engineering are the
most common security holes nowadays and procedures need to be as
rigorous as the other security measures.

Let's also get references to databases and DBMS consistent.

Fix the 'comprises of' on page 70.
Review the models used for problem solving - the current SDLC/PSM
distinction is arbitrary and confusing.

Provide more information on visualising thinking.

In SD I think there should be a little more guidance on the level of
difficulty expected in students' knowledge.  The 2-dimensional array in
the 2007 exam was unexpected.  e.g. key knowledge could include 'data
storage constructs, including multidimensional arrays'.

I am still wondering why the 'portable device' & 'networked environment'
constraints were chosen for the programming tasks.  For a student's
first programming experience I thought a traditional desktop environment
would be more typical.

Cheers
Mark

Manager - Information Systems