[Year 12 SofDev] RE: [Year 12 IT Apps] VCE & VET IT U3O2 samplesite

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Apr 17 18:53:18 EST 2008

Be not afraid to add your 2.2c worth here.  All contributions are valued.

If you subscribe to the Software Development mailing list, you'll notice
that one of the questions we face here is how closely the VCE IT study
design matches practices in The Real World.

And yes - the students' websites should be at least partially
functional.  The bits they simulate are those things they can't
reasonably produce in class within the constraints of the time and
technology they have available.

Cheers
Mark

Emily Coldwell wrote:
> My understanding of a prototype is complete mock-up, with one or two
> fully functional parts - to be shown to the client to receive feedback,
> etc. So part of it needs to work - it can't be all screenshots.
>
> But this is coming from my knowledge as an IT uni student, not an IT
> teacher! Please tell me if I am out of place adding my own two cents!
>

> Emily Coldwell
> Deakin Uni (Waurn Ponds)
> Grad Dip of Ed (Applied Learning) student
> (Will be "real" teacher next year, but I am currently on placement at
> Belmont High, Geelong)

> samplesite
>
>> Yep.  "Prototype" can mean it's a mockup of the real thing.  Look &
>> feel without full functionality.
>>
>> My kids doctor images of impossible-to-create features such as wikis,
>> blogs, forums so it _looks_ like a virtual team's site but does not
>> all work.
>>
>> The way I see the task, the main idea is that kids show you they know
>> what tools are relevant to a VT, what they would look like in use, how
>> a team could use them to aid decision-making and knowledge sharing.
>>
>> They do not have to make fully functional sites with PHP scripts and
>> MySQL databases :-)
>>
>> WEIR Andrew wrote:
>>> I think the key word was Prototype. Had to show ideas not necessarily
>>> functional.
>>> I remember some people talking about students getting screen shots of
>>> forums and blogs and editing them with Photoshop to look like the
>>> company in question.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Andrew Weir
>>> Thomas Carr College -----Original Message-----

Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085 Fax +613 9578 9253

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

Only those who swim against the current know the current is there.