[Year 12 SofDev] Resource flows in a DFD

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Tue Apr 15 10:40:49 EST 2008

Hi Robert.  The question about resource flows became rather tangible in
last year's SD paper (Section C, 1B) with the answer depending on the
student recognising that a resource flow should NOT appear in a context
diagram / DFD.

But, if 'real' DFDs _can_ show resource flows, the question would have
been invalidated...

That's what concerns me.  We are marking things right or wrong according
to a set of sometimes-arbitrary rules and definitions that sometimes
only apply in our little world of VCE theory.  An outsider in The Real
World could well argue that our answers are either moot or just plain
wrong according to best practice.

Our definition of the SDLC, for example, is just one of many, yet we ask
very specific questions about it that can rule all other SDLC variants
incorrect.

I know the study design has to be specific, but it also needs to
recognise the huge variations in accepted theory across the industry and
can't afford to get too convinced that its - and only its definitions
and formulations are gospel.

It's a tricky one.  I certainly wouldn't like to be writing the study
design.  If I took my own argument to its logical conclusion, I'd end up
spending 16 weeks covering all possible flavours of the SDLC, and the
kids would be confused.

It's very comforting to be able to say "Kids, this is what you should
assume the SDLC is..." and then lay it out neatly, but I keep reminding
them that much of the theory we cover is just one interpretation of many
varieties, and they might encounter alternative or contradictory
versions in their travels.

Oh well, this is bordering on theology - and heresy :-)

Maybe that's why I sometimes I feel like Martin Luther nailing things to
church doors  :-o