[Year 12 SofDev] Resource flows in a DFD

Timmer-Arends timmer at melbpc.org.au
Mon Apr 14 17:23:25 EST 2008

Mark and Adrian

Like you I've not heard of this so I  did a quick google on "context
diagram"+resource flow"

Found quite a few references - they all seem to point to the idea of DFDs
being expanded to include production and business modelling; for example:

Google books:
"Process Oriented Analysis: Design and Optimization of Industrial Production
"
By Urs B. Meyer, Simone
E. Creux, Andrea K. Weber Marin

http://www.edrawsoft.com/Design-Data-Flow.php
quote: "Data flow diagrams can be used to provide a clear representation of
any business function..."

So I don't think SD has anything to worry about since it is looking only at
information systems. And therefore we should only be looking at data flows.

I did find this PPT though, which doesn't do a bad job of DFDs (plus other
business related stuff). It used Gane&Sarson conventions rather than
DeMarco, but could be a good teacher resource if nothing else.
www.computing.dcu.ie/~renaat/ca2/ca214/DataFlowModels.ppt

Regards
Robert T-A