[Year 12 SofDev] choosing a language for 2008

Claudia Graham claudia.graham at overnewton.vic.edu.au
Tue Sep 18 12:42:31 EST 2007

Hi Kevork,

I recall someone colleting data on programming languages used a few
years ago (now of course a few years ago could have been much longer ago
then my brain perceives it to be) and most people (90+%) were using some
version of VB.

This year with the number of students down around the 1500 I think I
would be pretty sure that the trend is still that, with a few pockets of
students (depending on teacher interest) doing alternative languages
such as PHP.

When it comes to guidelines for each language, it is often difficult to
do, as you noted, mainly due to students/teachers previously level of
programming experience. Also students do not need to be 'tested' on all
elements of a programming language simply exposed to it. So I do a
number of 'input this' type exercises, but I would never ask them to
display those skills from scratch in an assessment piece as they have
limited exposure prior to starting Unit 3.

Regards
Claudia