[Opensource] Moodle Server Specs

Peter Ruwoldt ruwoldtp at gmail.com
Tue May 27 08:22:31 EST 2008

You are creating a lot of work for yourself doing this.  Why not buy some
external server space at a place like siteground.com.  You get a domain name
and mega gigs of space and traffic for $160AUD.  Moodle is already one of
the packages you can install using their Fantastico.  Students can access
your course ware from anywhere any time.  mine is at www.watiwara.org and my
first lot of two years is about up and ready for renewal.
Peter

2008/5/26 Jack Matthews <jack_m_matthews at hotmail.com>:

>  Hi
>
> I do not have access to a server and it will remain that way for the near
> future.  The only way around this issue is to use my USB laptop drive.  A
> linux server would be nice but right now I literally have no harware to
> install it on.  The existing XP computer is simply one of the class
> computers.  As I understand VMware will cost money and I'm not sure running
> VMware off a USB would do the trick.  I am not allowed to install anything
> on the computers because they are used for TEFOL testing and the people here
> are paranoid about it.
>
> -Jack Matthews
>
> > Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 20:14:05 +1000
> > From: pia at waughpartners.com.au
> > To: opensource at edulists.com.au
> > Subject: Re: [Opensource] Moodle Server Specs
> >
> > Hi Jack,
> >
> > <quote who="Jack Matthews">
> >
> > > 2. Will running off a USB drive severely harm performance. (Is is
> > > possible to 25 students to com! plete a quiz from a Server running from
> > > USB laptop drive?)
> >
> > Why don't you just run it under a vmware instance with Ubuntu which gets
> > around the "connections" issue. In fact, why don't you just install
> edubuntu
> > which already is completely set up to do exactly what you are trying to
> > achieve :)
> >
> > http://edubuntu.org/
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Pia
> >
> > --
> > Waugh Partners
> >
> > m. +61 400 966 453
> > p. +61 2 9318 0284
> > f. +61 2 9318 2884
> > w. http://waughpartners.com.au/
> >
> > Open Source: Strategic Consulting, Industry Development, Research &
> Analysis
> Authority a! nd
> > http://www.vitta.org.au - VITTA Victorian Information Tech nology
> Teachers Association Inc