[Opensource] Changing software purchase models

Pia Waugh pia at waughpartners.com.au
Thu May 8 09:05:36 EST 2008

Hi Cameron,

<quote who="Cameron Bell">

> There is also a great article in this months Australian Photography
> Magazine about archiving digital prints and files and the critical role
> FOSS is playing in preserving our heritage. Worth a read.

Cool, will check it out.

> You know I'm onside Pia, I just have very little faith in Ed bureaucracy
> who want a managed standard system which aren't using standards at all. For
> those in suits in town, its often about the deals that can be done, not
> what is best or just plain right.

I know you are onside, as are all of the members of our community. But we
need to make a conscious effort to be positive, even in the face of
adversity (when it is there) because most people in Government are actually
smart cookies. Often they are bound by some pretty stupid conventions, or
policies, or whatever, so the best we can do is continue to assist them in
making it easier for Government to use and hopefully participate in FOSS
where it meets their needs.

I am keenly aware of several perspectives in our community which assume the
worst, and this doesn't actually help us in our comulative goal :) When the
ATO story came out:

(http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/soa/Australian-Tax-Office-Bill-Gibson-CIO-/0,139023731,339286886,00.htm)

many people "in the FOSS community" said some really nasty and demeaning
things about the CIO of the ATO. I emailed him saying I'd like to chat with
him about FOSS and was told I was the _only_ person from the FOSS community
who had been even vaguely reasonable in response to the article. This
reflects badly on us all. Turns out he isn't a bad bloke, and will use FOSS
where it meets their needs. As we all know most "concerns" about FOSS can be
overcome through education and outreach.

Cheers,
Pia

--
Waugh Partners

  m. +61 400 966 453
  p. +61 2 9318 0284
  f. +61 2 9318 2884
  w. http://waughpartners.com.au/

Open Source: Strategic Consulting, Industry Development, Research & Analysis