[Opensource] Changing software purchase models

Cameron Bell bell.cameron.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu May 8 08:32:27 EST 2008

Not knowing them at all, I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the
doubt on your say. I have already told my staff something along the
lines of "I told you so" when I first heard about this. You really don't
have to be too smart to figure out why its a better model, you just have
to be brave and start walking the talk.
I have far less faith in their Victoria counterparts who often seem to
view even Macs as a nuisance.
I generally work with colleagues who couldn't care less which apps they
use, as long as they don't have to (dare I say it) *change*. My biggest
advantage is the onset of Vista and Office07 (or whatever its called). I
am showing how the change to OO is far less challenging than the change
to the new version of MSOffice and with students now rocking up with
files created in the new version that staff can't open, I am starting to
make far more noise about why we are moving to FOSS.
There is also a great article in this months Australian Photography
Magazine about archiving digital prints and files and the critical role
FOSS is playing in preserving our heritage. Worth a read.
You know I'm onside Pia, I just have very little faith in Ed bureaucracy
who want a managed standard system which aren't using standards at all.
For those in suits in town, its often about the deals that can be done,
not what is best or just plain right.

Cheers
Cameron