[Opensource] Interactive Electronic Whiteboards

Cameron Bell bell.cameron.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Mar 10 13:52:21 EST 2008

I have found that with my senior physics classes I still tend to use it
as a glorified projections system where I could do what I do without the
need of the IWB part. However, I do appreciate the IWB software that
accepts YouTube videos in the native flv format. I can prepare a lesson
ahead of time and just drop the video in. I am also getting better at
using the drawing tools - they let me draw far more accurately.
Where I have found the IWB comes into its own is with Junior classes.
As  I desperately try to get away from having the whole class doing the
same activity or listening to me in the old chalk and talk, I have found
that when I can arrange for multiple activities to be occuring, the IWB
is a great activity to supplement the others. I can have a group of
three or four using it, while others may  be using the laptops or doing
a practical activity. It works a treat in those situations, however
finding time to create and organise a class structured in this way is
very hard - but when it works it works well.

Roland I know of a school that initially went the Bluetooth tablets way
and have ditched them for more IWB's. I can email you the school
off-list if you want to find out more.

 From a FOSS point of view,  my concern is wrapping up my lessons in
proprietary IWB software format which I am not happy about and when I
used the Linux version (why we went with Smartboards - they have
Win/Lin/Mac versions) on my R51 Ubuntu, there was an unacceptable lag
between writing on the IWB and it appearing. I had to ditch it in the
end and use the Win side as I couldn't find a solution and simply didn't
have the time to do so.  :(

Cameron