[Opensource] You just have to be better

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 18:39:28 EST 2007

I occasionally need to explain the economic model that underpins FOSS. This
is a nice article that explains some of the success behind Red Hat and other
companies that produce free software. I particularly liked the last quote.

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netos/article.php/3664736

If you don't trust your customers and have to treat them like criminals and
have to continually tighten the screws, if you have to keep everything a big
secret, if your product line is so unattractive you have to force people to
purchase anything and lock them in to have even a chance of keeping them,
perhaps the problem is not them derned defective customers, but your
approach to running a business.

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au