[Opensource] Giving a flick with my mouse

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 22:22:21 EST 2007

 <http://www.flickr.com/photos/plakboek/414423969/>
 Interesting Windows flick with the
mouse<http://www.flickr.com/photos/plakboek/414423969/>
This is screenshot of an Ubuntu Linux desktop that we are running on a
school computer. We built this on a partition as part of our new dual boot
setup for deployment on the wider school computers. Seems to be working very
nicely so far. We included many standard applications that are already on
the other computer, even managed to add printing to a network printer.

This desktop is also using Beryl, a cute 3D screen tool with some nice eye
candy and effects as windows are moved about.  As a test I ran a remote
console session to access a nearby Windows server.

We have tinkered with dual boot desktops before, now that all the computers
are supported by the one Zenworks image, this is our first serious step
towards deploying Linux across the entire network. I learned heaps playing
about with this distribution over the term break.

The odd shape here is from quickly moving the Windows console window by
moving the menu bar with the mouse and pressing the printscreen button. It
does make me wonder what other interesting and creative shapes I can make by
giving the desktop windows a flick with my mouse.

Windows still runs as normal, the world hasnt ended, the milk in the staff
room hasn't gone off, there is still oodles of bandwidth and server space
left, we can still teach basic breathing.

Full credit for this exciting new project goes to the collective,
cooperative and open skills provided by Peter and Daniel. We still have a
few bugglets to iron out. Important thing is that we are learning heaps
along the way (what schools are about heh?)

Why? Because it is fun. :-)

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au