[Moodle] Dear moodle - How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 20:25:00 EST 2009

hi Ros,

I've only just started using moodle - spent some time reading the teacher
documentation

What I found was that in some ways it enabled me to augment what I might do
in other ways in a (non computer) classroom. I would see this as "the test"
of worth-while-ness.

You mention, "glossary for your subject"

The teacher documentation about this was very good. It pointed out that I
could create a collaborative glossary whereby:

*"Instead of creating a glossary on your own, why not have the students
create them as they encounter unfamiliar terms? A collaborative glossary can
serve as a focal point for collaboration in a course. Each member of the
class could be assigned to contribute a term, a definition, or comments on
submitted definitions. Multiple definitions can be rated by you and by the
students, with the highest-rated definitions accepted for the final class
glossary."*
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Glossaries#Collaborative_glossaries

I've now done the multiple definitions collaborative glossary in a couple of
classes (one science, one computing) and it was really valuable. I just
started them off with a list of words and asked them to put in their
meanings. It was
- fun
- friendly competition / collaboration generated
- more knowledgeable students added their own words and meanings

As an introductory activity it enabled me to work out who the leaders,
followers and strugglers in the class were far more quickly than any other
activity I could imagine

I'm not sure whether the ideas in the teacher documentation are as good as
this one in the glossary but this particular one worked for me