[Moodle] Ideal Server Specs for Moodle?

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Thu Mar 2 14:04:30 EST 2006

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 03:57:59PM +1100, Paul Williamson wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> We started out with Moodle running on a Celeron 900/1gb sdram/40gb ide,
> running RedHat 7.3. This was alright until a class of about 25 people were
> clicking all over everything. The server struggled to render the php for
> all the requests. I spent quite some time modifying apache settings with
> no success. It was a good platform to begin testing on, however not
> acceptable for class use as the whole class would be waiting 5 minutes per
> click.

I'm surprised that a 1GB RAM, 1 GHz processor would be this slow. I'd be
curious to see if a current kernel build, say FC4 or current Debian, wont
happily supprt your 25 users on that old server. The offer I made earlier
about another similar system stands ;-)

Cheers,

Con Zymaris

- CEO, Cybersource Pty. Ltd.
- Director, Open Source Industry Australia, Limited.
- Convenor, Open Source Victoria (A Government-funded industry cluster.)