[Year 12 IT Apps] Happy Horses

Mark mark at vceit.com
Mon Mar 30 16:39:12 AEDT 2015

Intel is reportedly thinking of spending big money to acquire Silicon
Valley chip builder Altera.

"Altera builds what are called FPGAs, or field programmable gate arrays.
These are chips you can program to perform very specific tasks, and they
don’t require as much power or as much space as the chips that
traditionally have powered our internet services. They’s why Microsoft used
them to help power Bing. People...believe these chips could help power a
wide range of services, including the new breed of artificially intelligent
services, such as Apple Siri and Microsoft Cortana."

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/intel-exploring-biggest-takeover-ever/

And I am reportedly thinking about being young, snug in bed, listening to
the clip clop of the horse in the street drawing the wagon delivering the
early-morning milk bottles.
One day I dared to run out in my pyjamas to see him. He looked happy. That
made me happy.

I started feeling very old until I realised that the horse had inbuilt HPS
(Horse Positioning System) and could travel their entire delivery route
without input from the driver.
Fifty years later, DARPA has spent millions to sponsor teams using
driverless cars with powerful computers and sensors to replicate that happy
horse.

Sigh
Mark

--

"The more you learn, the less you know for sure."

Mark Kelly
mark AT vceit DOT com
http://vceit.com