[Year 12 IT Apps] Privacy, metadata and your phone

Walker, Michael A walker.michael.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Aug 17 18:06:35 AEST 2015

There's also a Victorian site for open data : https://www.data.vic.gov.au/
The Victorian government also run a hackathon - there was one run a few months back.

Also of interest I use in class is getting students to log in to their Google account then go to www.google.com/locationhistory/

The new version has a really nice interface for seeing exactly where you have been over the last day, week, month, year, etc.

I also use it in Year 11 IT related to ethical ICT issues where I get students to tell me about how they feel about their location being tracked constantly, then tell the story of someone I heard of through a common acquaintance who was a reformed drug dealer whose former acquaintances tried to set him up. After a period of time sweating blood, the police let him know that he was no longer under suspicion of the crime he had been set up for, but his mates were. The basis for this was the phone location data for him and his mates - the police could see where he had been helping serve meals to the poor, whereas his mates who thought they were clever turning their phones off didn't realise the phone still kept saving location data...

Michael Walker
Doncaster Secondary College